Re: List stats redone

Aaron Konstam wrote:
I fail to see that having the e-mail address on the list is a problem
since it appears on everyones posting (except Tim's). Why would someone
post to the list if they did not want to enable people to communicate
with them.
Any vicious spammer could do what Tom Cameron has done to get the e-mail
addresses. Has anyone noticed that spammers are a problem using
addresses from this list?

The objection some people have is that it puts all the addresses in one place, making it easy for SPAMers to harvest them. I am not sure how much it matters, as the script shows how easy it is to harvest them from the mailing list. Now, a smart SPAMMer would avoid harvesting the addresses from this list. It would increase the reports to correct ISPs, and increase the ods you are going to end up in one of the SPAM filter lists. You are also more lickly to be blocked by SPAM filters.

I tried a simple SED filter to remove the e-mail addresses, and leave the names, but it results in a few blank names, and a couple of e-mail addresses in the list. Replace the awk command with:

Mikkel