Re: LVM and grub

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:54:29 +0000
Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> I set up an LVM partitioning scheme on one computer,
> with /boot on /dev/sda3 outside LVM .
> But grub could not access / because LVM was not activated.
> This made me wonder:
>
> 1. Is there any way of asking grub to activate LVM
> (eg run "vchange -a y") before it looks for the / partition?
>
> 2. Is there any argument one could add to the kernel line
> to the same effect?
>
> In the end I deleted the LVM, and used ordinary partitions,
> so the question is purely academic.

I can't answer your question, because I simply don't know the
answer; however, I encountered this problem once before. This may
just be noise for you.

The issue was that grub had gotten confused about which drives were
which (as I have a mix of SATA and IDE). After going through BIOS
and making sure my drives were properly identified and changing
during boot what drive root was on, it booted up like a champ and
I've had repeated success over several boots.

I do not use Fedora on the machine that this occurred, I have
CentOS on that machine. It may have worked for you though.

--
ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx
Life is a prison, death is a release