Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 08:14 -0600, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> The *medium* is not write-only.
> Even if glued in place, the write-protect latch
> is only a flag to respectiable hardware.
> If I fear, correctly or otherwise, editing by people
> with non-respectable hardware tape doesn't work.

While you couldn't edit a DVD backup, you could make a doctored copy,
and slip it into place.  You can also foul up a DVD-R by burning over
the top of it, all that takes is something that STUPIDLY doesn't check
whether a disc is blank before writing to it (like my Liteon DVD
recorder).

There's no guarantees.  If you want to save your backups, then you need
to keep them out of the hands of anyone who might foul them up, whether
deliberately, or stupidly.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.