Re: mod_ssl or openssl?

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:23:16PM +0100, Alain Spineux wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2008 1:07 PM, David Jansen <jansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > A weird question, but when contacting my internet provider to purchase an
> > SSL certificate through them, they asked whether it should be for
> > Apache mod_ssl or for Apache + openssl.
> > But as far as I can see from the apache documentation and output eg from
> > phpinfo, apache is linked against openssl and mod_ssl is loaded (and
> > running ldd on mod_ssl.so shows me, that that too is linked to the
> > openssl libraries, as I expected)
> >
> > So, what does the question from my provider mean, and how can I figure
> > out which type of SSL my server needs?
>
> Maybe the 3 first link can help you to make the diff between both.

I'm sorry, which link are you refering to?

> Do you know, You cangenerate self signed certificate yourself ?
> Their is lot of howto on the web.

yes I know, and I have done that in the past. But how does that help me?
generating a self signed certificate is done using openssl, but does
that mean that openssl is the proper choice?

It might just mean that the person at my isp who asked this question is
rather clueless on what he is actually selling. Wouldn't be the first time...

David Jansen