Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 03:47:04PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 23:42:10 +0200
> Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > How would you backup 1TB of data in a server with 4x 250GB drives all
> > > mounted as separate mount points to a set of dvds using tools
> > > available in fedora, centos or rhel?
> >
> > Since this thread on this interesting problem (really!) already grows
> > quite large and I'm sure there will be lots of interesting suggestions
> > and solution, would you mind posting a summary on your findings? Maybe
> > even putting online into a wiki or similar?
>
> I thought the concensus was, if you have 1TB of data to back up then don't do
> it with DVD's.

You mean the whole thread is about dividing 1000 though 4? As you can
see from my request I don't have the time to wade through the thread,
but I would assume that people would suggest using alternative backup
media than DVD or at least give a solution for smaller capacities.

> You don't need a wiki page to post one sentence:  "Don't do that with a volume
> of data that large because it's both impractical and unreliable."

You probably don't need a thread of dozens of replies to estabish that
either. I still hope there is some juice in the fruit.

Anyway let's paraphrase the original request as I hope it had been
done as "what (cheap) backup methods are there for largish disk media
on DVD/blue-ray type of backups"
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net