Re: weather warning applet

On Fri February 8 2008, Frank Cox wrote:
> Having once again noticed that there is an "extreme cold" weather warning
> issued for my area for this afternoon and tonight (dropping to -52 degrees
> in the next few hours, apparently), it occurs to me that it would be very
> handy to be able to get a pop-up notification of weather warnings on my
> desktop.
>
> I use the gnome weather applet, but to the best of my current knowledge it
> doesn't have the capability of automatically reporting weather warnings.
>
> Is there something else that can do that?

Have you tried adding the ForecastFox plugin to Firefox. It does exactly what
you describe you want, but does require that you keep Firefox open. Extreme
alerts pop up from the Systray - others appear in the Firefox toolbar where
you've configured ForecastFox to display its info. Not sure whether this will
work in Canada, tho - it's based on calls to Accuweather but worth checking
out. I especially like the radar image display - hover over it and it
instantly pops up a regional map of current radar conditions - you can
configure the image to be quite large, a big plus for my aging eyes.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA