Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

On Saturday 09 February 2008, Craig White wrote:
> Assuming facts not in evidence...the original question:
> > How would you backup 1TB of data in a server with 4x 250GB drives all
> > mounted as separate mount points to a set of dvds using tools
> > available in fedora, centos or rhel?

> But I have this feeling that Lamar will entertain us with another
> unrelated yet interesting tale.

Aw, you're too kind.

The original question could have been for a one-shot operation.  Also breaking
the ambiguity a little, if you use DVD+R's, the data stability is
substantially greater over time, since the mechanism for DVD+R recording is
different from DVD-R recording.  See
http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media

At the 1TB level with 125DVD's (and, yes, a consumer grade DVD burner can do
that; we have run duplicates of DVD's of a locally produced video segment one
right after another for two 100-DVD+R spindles; LiteOn brand drive over a
period of three days) it is impractical.  The OP further explained himself
that he really only wanted to backup 50GB of that.  At the 50GB level for a
possible one-shot backup, possibly practical, as 12 data DVD's in a modern
drive wouldn't take too long.  Do two while you're at it.
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu