Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Valent Turkovic wrote:
How would you backup 1TB of data in a server with 4x 250GB drives all
mounted as separate mount points to a set of dvds using tools
available in fedora, centos or rhel?

Thank you in advance,
Valent.

I haven't seen an RPM for it, but it sounds like splitpipe (http://ds9a.nl/splitpipe/) might help. I use it to periodically dump data off my home server. I store the DVDs in the fire safe. Yes, my server is RAID 5, but that won't do much good if the server is in the house and the house is on fire. My fire safe is also rated to be fireproof if dropped 30 feet. I'm pretty sure an external disk wouldn't do so well in that fall, so I think DVDs are a decent compromise for longer term storage. I do make sure I keep multiple copies of the important stuff, and I also cycle out the old copies, so my disks won't ever be older than a few years.

Mike