Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Valent Turkovic wrote:
On Feb 9, 2008 7:34 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steven Stern wrote:

| I would not.  If you factor in your time to split all that into DVD
| size chunks and then individually burn them, it's cheaper to go out
| and buy a 1 TB portable storage device and backup to it.  They aren't
| that expensive anymore.

As a matter of fact, there are some deals at Newegg today on 1 to 1.5TB
external drives

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414+131021336&name=800GB+and+higher

Or, if the 1TB isn't quite full or the data will compress a bit, you can
find external 750GB drives even cheaper.  I'd get a couple of these,
compress the data, and rotate them offsite.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11219355

I asked for a backup to DVDs, I need a cheap solution for chunks of
50GB every month.

Do you have cheap labor? Otherwise DVD's are only going to be cheap if you don't have to wait for them to complete, so you'll need some disk holding space to accumulate the backup contents and chunk it up into appropriately-sized pieces anyway. Do you need the DVD copies in a form you can directly access (if the individual files will fit that way), or would a tar file chopped into pieces work? And are there any other options, like other networked machines where automated copies could be done?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx