Re: Internet is borked

On Feb 9, 2008 1:51 AM, David L. Gehrt <dlg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has anybody on this list heard what is wrong with the INTERNET tonight?
>
> dlg
>
> --

Putting the fun at your expense aside, we can only assume that you are
unfamiliar with how the Internet works.  There are many things that
can go wrong to negatively impact one's Internet experience (or that
of a particular segment).  However because of how the Internet works,
it would take something at the root of it (i.e. attacking root DNS
servers - 13 of them right?  or has that changed), and even then of a
sufficient magnitude to impact all its users.  So a more appropriate
query would be: "I live in the city of ABC and have my Internet
service with company XYZ.  I've been experiencing the following
problem(s) using the Internet this evening: {list problem(s)}.  I
don't know if the problem is local to me, or further upstream.  Is
anyone else experiencing similar problems?".  I'm not suggesting that
is the only way you could word such a question.  But something along
those lines would solicit a more appropriate response.

You see the problem could be specific to you, it could be just a
segment of your ISP's network, your entire ISP network, the problem
could be from your ISP's upstream provider which again could be
regional or across the board for them, and so on.  For it to impact
everybody all across the Internet, it would require something very
substantial.  Even with the worm that took out I believe 5 of the 13
root DNS servers (don't quote me on that as I didn't Google it for the
exact facts - just remember hearing about it) in the past few years
that still only caused some people to notice a slight slow down in the
Internet.  The beauty of the Internet is its resiliency.  It's
predecessor, ARPANET, was created with that being one of its qualities
so that even in time of war if one segment was taken out,
communication would continue because traffic would automatically
re-route via another part of the web.  I also heard (not sure how
accurate this one is) that during the Gulf war I believe that the US
tried to take out the enemy's communication but thanks to the
resiliency of the Internet the enemy was still able to communicate via
the Internet.

All this may be nothing new to you or of no interest.  Just got the
impression that you are a bit in the dark as to how the Internet works
hence your initial question that provided some of us with an
opportunity to lighten things up at your expense (all in good fun).

Jacques B.