Re: Postgresql service using a different data directory

Aubrey Barnard wrote:
Is there a way to have Postgres use a different data directory short of
editing /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql and changing the default setting of
PGDATA? I noticed that /etc/rc.d/init.c/postgresql looks to files in
/etc/sysconfig/pgsql, but I don't have any files there to guide
editing/additions and I cannot find documentation on the subject. However,
I presume adding a file to /etc/sysconfig/pgsql is the best way to go. Can
someone confirm and explain this? (E.g. would I also need to specify
PGLOG? Is it important to back up the log?)

All that you need to do is edit /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/postgresql and add one line:

PGDATA=/data/pgsql

That's it.  You don't need to worry about the log.

The init script itself will be overwritten by updates, so you don't want to modify that. The file in /etc/sysconfig/pgsql won't be.