Pinging through a non-transparent proxy

I have a test network set up where the internal network, proxy and firewall are connected serially.  I don't have IP forwarding enabled on the proxy and currently I'm only able to ping up to the proxy's external interface.  Would anyone happen to know the iptables rules needed to allow for me to ping past that point or is the answer to my problem somewhere else?

 - Joe