Re: OT : More CPUs or Faster CPUs

Paul Lemmons wrote:
I am soon to purchase a new PC. It will run Fedora and its primary purpose will be:

1) Transcoding my DVD library to xvid-avi's so that they may be watched on my media player 2) Editing training videos that I create and burning the finished product to DVD for distribution

To transcode I will most likely be using dvd::rip and for editing I will probably be using cinerella

Now that that is said and money not a limitless resource I have some choices to make. One of those choices is CPU configuration. For the tasks above, which is better:

1) A single very fast CPU

These don't exist anymore.  All the high-end commodity chips are at least dual-core.

2) Dual core CPU with combined speed greater than or equal to a single CPU but each core slower than a single CPU

Actually, dual-core goes higher in both clock speed and cache-per-core these days.

3) Multi socket CPU with combined speed greater than a single CPU but each CPU slower than a single CPU

This only makes sense if you have a multi-threaded application, and a lot of money. You may also end up needing a RAID array to have enough I/O throughput to benefit from this.

Bang for buck, option 2 sounds the best to me but I am concerned that the process of transcodeing is single threaded and would not take advantage of multiple CPUs.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If your app is multithreaded, but you don't want to break the bank, consider a single quad-core CPU. You won't get the memory bandwidth boost from going multi-socket, but transcoding should be mostly cache and CPU-bound anyway. Transcoding should scale very well to multiple CPUs, if you have a multithreaded implementation.

	-- Chris