Re: change mtu help

Thank you so much for your suggestion

I am using the host as router.

my teleco company requests us to set mtu as 1600 that I have to set to our end

Do you know whether it is good to set up 1600 ?
as DSL modem is currently supporting frame size 1492 in this time?

Thank you again

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> chloe K wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> how can I change the mtu to 1600?
>>
>> can i do it in rc.local or
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripting
>>
> If you want to change it for a specific interface, you can do it in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg- using the MTU=1600
> option. If you want to know more about the different interface files,
> and the options in them, you may want to read
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-/sysconfig.txt.

But setting the MTU higher than permitted on the physical media is not
likely to work. For example, ethernet is normally restricted to 1500.
Also, this setting doesn't include the ethernet header and trailer bytes
so if you are working with 'baby giant' packets with devices that
support them you may still need a setting a bit less than 1600.
--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx