Re: Difference between IDE and SCSI ??

Alan Cox wrote:
I thought firewire was the first serial connection that could beat parallel buses like scsi - somewhere mid-90's. At least on consumer equipment.

Depends what you define as 'consumer' so we've now got a narrow date
window and a narrow product range - keep trying. For servers fibrechannel
was the fast stuff and ethernet was faster than IDE/SCSI at various times.

For a rough cut, I'd define 'consumer' as costing less than $1,000 for an interface card in the early days. So arcnet would have qualified long before ethernet. Today, consumer stuff seems to be a few dollars per interface and a few cents matters enough to omit firewire from a lot of equipment in favor of less capable USB.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx