Broadcom 43 & weak signals: F8 vs WinXP

I have a dual boot laptop with a Broadcom 43 and WinXP and F8.
In F8, I connect with a gui entitled "Network Device Control".
I am working in an area with a marginal wifi signal.  It
appears that in cases where F8 will not connect, WinXP connects
immediately.  Can anything be done about this?

Additionally, in F8, if I type specify SSID for the strongest
signal, it won't connect at all.  In this case, the SSID
consists of several words.  In another case, where the SSID
was one word, and the signal was stronger, I could specify it
successfully. Is this expected?

In the present case, therefore, I do not know to which of
several nodes I am connected.  Is there a way to find out?

Thanks for your help.
Mike.