Re: SATA/ATA

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can I run a SATA disk with an ATA controller?
One of my disks is about to die,
and I've been looking for a large - say 500GB or larger - disk,
and all the ones I see seem to be SATA.

Alternatively, is it reasonably easy
to find and install a SATA controller in place of an ATA one?

For adapters, take a look at:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IDE2SATA-BP&cat=CBL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812206001

I am sure there are others - this was just a quick look.

If you go the SATA controller route, somethingto keep in mind - if you plan to boot off the SATA drive, you will need a controller card that has its own BIOS. Chances are that your motherboard BIOS will not boot from a SATA controller that does not have its own BIOS. You can find cheap add-on cards that are not bootable. (SATA, PATA and SCSI cards) There are designed for when you need to add a drive, but you are not booting from it.

Mikkel