Re: Make newly created directories 0775 by default

On Saturday 02 February 2008 15:04:16 Excalibur Xcalibur wrote:
> Hi all,
>           Presently when somebody creates a directory, it's 0755.
>  i.e. not writable by the group. I have a file server and would like
>  to change this default property such that when somebody created a
>  directory it's 0775. i.e.  writable by the group. For my file
>  server, this is a must as users of the same group need to be able
>  to edit each others folders. Thanks.

The file server or file system does not supply the information you
want defaulted.  Each user supplies the modification mask for a new
file or directory.

A user can set a default for the modification mask on his files and
directories, though.  This is called the umask.  This command will set
the umask for the current process (shell) to the default you want:

    umask 002

You could request users to set this in their login scripts or you
could even set it for them by modifying /etc/profile and/or other
files run by various shells.

But, in the end, the user controls this.

--
Garry T. Williams --- +1 678 656-4579