Re: Good bye

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 07:55 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ian Malone wrote:
>
> >> Since this is Karl's thread, his problems with Nvidia and sound should
> >> be famous by now and apply to any kernel modules.
> >
> > And, as always, he was told ages ago the way to get Nvidia working
> > on Fedora and chose to ignore it until he stumbled onto it by trial
> > and error.
>
> He was told different and conflicting ways by different people and
> following different sets of advice broke things.  Why should an
> extremely common user requirement have to be satisfied by following some
> random other user's advice from a mail list?  As we can see by example,
> this doesn't work that well.
>
> > I didn't follow his sound problems closely but they
> > appeared to be with pulseaudio, which was designed to fix a long-
> > standing sound problem, is not a kernel issue and, in any case, can
> > be removed and F8 run without it.
>
> He tried to remove 'pulseaudio' instead of the obscure package name that
> you actually do have to remove and it damaged his system.
>
> > Anyway, we've heard this axe ground so often I'm surprised there's
> > anything left of it.
>
> Does the truth hurt?  What's the problem with repeating it?  I'd like to
> see something resembling truth-in-advertising on the project site about
> the expected user experience for the very common situations where a
> vendor driver works better than the stock one or is needed to work at
> all, the user wants to run java, VMware or a number of other 3rd party
> programs, or the user expects to keep running without re-installing for
> any length of time.

I had suggested off-list that he try the nVidia supplied driver. Then he
raved about how well it worked on the list. My guess is that he dinked
with it and it broke. I have no problem with it at all and I happen to
prefer it, for my own uses.

I just set up an old Beta Max for my 75 year old Uncle. He had some
original WWII footage on Beta and wanted to watch them. I warned him,
don't fsck with it! Sure enough, two days later he'd push the damn
buttons anyway. Now, it won't play at all. Think I jumped up to fix it?
Hell, nah. I'm letting him sweat. Big time. Same thing.

Hopefully he'll keep his fingers out of it the next time I fix it.
<smirks> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar