Strange.... X11 and Cirrus card

That was wierd.  I had just did a PUP update of which an
xorg update was included and when the system rebooted, my
"normal" (1024x768) came up just fine. But when I opened up
my firefox browser to test my svn repository, the screen
blanked out and GDM "got lost" trying to find the FB.  Ok,
so I knew that my xorg.conf file must have gotten trashed
yet again, (I diff'ed a saved backup) and sure enough it
reverted by to that darn DefaultDepth 24.  Sigh, my card
and system is old - but geez when will the xorg group check
these things before ram-rodding my xorg.conf file.  Never mind,
I have restore it.

Well. The interesting thing here is that before, when I had
determined that there was NO WAY I could get past the
1024x768 "barrier", and the display app was also saying
the same thing but this time, I got more than I bargained
for: I got a list beyond the 1024x768 "barrier" and the
display app shows for "Thousands of Colors" adding
1152x768, 1280x720, and 1280x768.

Well, that is all fine except that the screen looks really
warpy beyond 1024x768 - that is, the aspect ratio is very
odd looking.

The question I have is, why can I not have something like
1024x1024 or other choices that "looks right"?

Can someone point me to how I can check this out manually
to see if I can "squeeze out" more than what xorg does
"automagically"?  I mean is there a way to manually test
and maximize the video-chip's capability?

I have a Cirrus GD-5480 onboard chipset and a CM715
Hitachi Monitor which can support up to 1600x1200@72Hz
resolutions not that this video-chip could support it.

Thanks-
Dan