FC8 kde : I'm having some configuration issues...

I've got a new install of FC8 on a Gateway laptop (MT6451 Notebook PC)
It's got an AMD Turion 64x2 processor.

I'm not sure the KDE Control Center [kcontrol] is working properly.

After I used a root session to:

# yum install ksynaptics

I was able to disable "tapping" via

kcontrol > Peripherals > Touch Pad

But when I tried to configure some keyboard shortcuts via
kcontrol > regional & accessibility > keyboard shortcuts

the changes didn't seam to work.

Then I found the shortcut settings in:
{menu} > system > personal > keyboard shortcuts

And SOME of them worked.

I WAS able to use Ctrl+Alt+Space to activate window menu. where I use the
pull-down choices to resize, move, maximize, minimize or close a window.
And I WAS able to disable the direct shortcuts {such as Alt+F4} for those
functions.

I WAS able to assign work space switching to Ctrl+F1,F2,F3,F4 And
disable the direct shortcuts to switch to the workspace to the left
etc...

But setting Log out to Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work. I still have to
use Alt+F1 > "move sideways to System" > "move vertically to log out"

I wanted to disable automatic loading, playing etc of removable
media.

In the past all I had to do was:

Alt+F2 > kcontrol > KDE components > Service Manager
 uncheck KDED media manager

But with FC8 the KDE Control center indicates that ALL of the listed
services are NOT running ????????
Even so, I tried unchecking KDED media manager but it had no effect.

I did eventually find that I could:

Alt-F1 > "move sideways to system" > "move vertically to hardware" >
"move sideways, then vertically to removable drives and media"
uncheck each undesired option (ALL OF THEM) on at least the Storage and
Multimedia tabs.

Though I note that when I try to play a music cd by calling kscd on the
run prompt it didn't output any sound.

So I did Alt+F1 > "move down to sound & video"

Several players were listed, some of them worked.  But what was not
listed was totem, which was the default player that started before I
unchecked the "play audio cd disc when inserted" box...

For the heck of it I tried calling totem at the run prompt. It started
but was unable to play the cd.
Under Movie the play disk audio disc choice was grayed out. the play
disk cd rom 1 choice wasn't gray but when I select it I get a pop-up
that says totem was not able to play this disk. Please check that a disk
is present in the drive. Yet if I recheck that "play when inserted"
preference setting, eject and reinsert the cd, totem starts up playing
the cd. Go figure...

One of the players that was listed was a simple looking player identified
simply as "cd player" that I'd almost like if I could call it by name
at the run prompt but it's name wasn't visible. So I fired up ksysguard
to look at the process table.

Now considering that when I installed FC8 I unchecked Gnome and checked
ONLY the KDE desktop, imagine my surprise to find that it's gnome-cd and
that gnome-keyring, gnome-panel, gnome-power-man, gnome-screensav,
gnome-session, gnome-settings-, gnome-vfs-daemo, gnome-volume-ma are all
listed as running processes... (sorry for the truncated names but I'm
not going to guess at the part I can't see...)

NO freaking wonder kcontrol and kscd aren't working properly. EVEN
though I selected KDE from the install dvd and expressly unchecked
gnome, it seams that several key services are using gnome tools.

This bothers me because I strongly dislike gnome. (I'd even prefer to
run under a microshaft environment!)

Can somebody please tell me how to get FC8 to stop using gnome, and let
the KDE tools work properly?

   ##_if_you'd_prefer_an_clearsigned_".asc"_text_file_of_this_##
   ##message_as_an_mime_encoded_attachment,just_ask_me_while__##
   ##it's_STILL_IN_my_outbox_folder_._._._=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+;-)_##
   #gpg sig for: Joe (theWordy) Philbrook DSA key ID 0x6C2163DE#
   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/ #