Re: Questions re samba/cifs stuff in general

On Thursday 31 January 2008, Stuart Sears wrote:
>Mitsuho Iizuka wrote:
>[Rick's samba advice]
>
>> I would like to mount it automatically.
>> So, is it possible to put those lines into /etc/fstab as follows ?
>>
>> //server/share /mountpoint cifs user=workgroup/username%password 0 0
>
>of course, but following up on Rick's point:
>/etc/fstab is readable by all.
>
>I would do this instead:
>
>//server/share /mountpoint cifs
>domain=workgroup,credentials=/root/samba.cred 0 0
>
>and in the /root/samba.cred file you would have
>username=bob
>password=password
>
>or something like that.

Humm, yes I see.  Also that for more than one share, which may have different
usernames & passwords, one would need a samba.cred per share.  Probably best
to rename that to the shares alias in the hosts file, in my case shop.cred

>This file does not have to be in /root, but it should be readable only
>by root.
>
>regards
>
>Stuart

Thanks Stewart, usefull info.