Re: Code name for Fedora 9

On Monday 28 January 2008, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 18:31 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > You miss the deeper pun.  Further, since when does a US company prefer a
> > Continental spelling over the US spelling 'sulfur' ?

> > Of course, that's part of the pun. But you have to be a history buff to
> > get it.

> ----
> even with your hints, I am too dense to get it.

Well, my clue was slightly dissembling.  A history buff of Fedora releases
should, after a little thought, get it.

No, misspelling and all, sulphur is a great name for F9.

Perhaps they plan on taking spot's hint, not ever having a Fedora 10, and make
the next release Phedora 1.  ph1>fc9 in the RPM version comparison, right
(unlike: fc10 < fc9!)?

Beyond that, there are the chemistry (or maybe alchemy) tie-ins, too.

Yes, sulphur is a great name.  What other lemon-yellow material, under melting
heat, turns blood-red?  Bleeding edge indeed.  What other material has very
much unknown allotropic properties that confuse even expert chemists (well,
except perhaps the massive 60-atom allotrope of carbon known as the "buckey
ball")? Nondeterministic update behavior indeed.  Individualized, drastically
different, yet identical, installs indeed!

Hrmph, when sulphur goes 'gold' we can even have a double pun; gold is another
yellow material that turns blood-red under certain conditions (in the case of
gold, this occurs when an emulsion is made with superfine colloidal gold dust
and water, where the color can range over the entire color gamut that blood
itself can be, from crimson through scarlet through purples through blue).

But I figured the 'Phedora' possibility would be obvious to folks; sorry.
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu