Re: ever see an HP 1018 laser Jet? why do print job disappear?

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Jan 30, 2008 12:30 AM, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Paul Johnson wrote:
Hello, Fedora users!

Does this problem remind you of anything?

In one of the Fedora 7 systems I administer, I've seen something very
strange with a new HP 1018 laser printer.  We plug in the USB
connector, and dmesg output indicates the system sees the device.  In
both system-config-printer and also in the CUPS configurator in the
browser, we see 3 lines showing the same printer.  One refers to an HP
printer found by HAL, one refers to an HP printer on hpijs protocol,
the other refers to a USB device.  I don't know why 3, but  that is
par for the course. I see it with all CUPS HP printers, I think.

I have that printer and it works very well for me. You need to use the
foo2zjs driver (http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/). Make sure to download from
the website, not from the repos (website says packaged/repo versions are
broken)

Thanks. I think that is the right approach.

Do you (anybody) agree that it is a pretty bad bug in CUPS that it
does not report any trouble with this printer?  It thinks jobs are
printing, but they don't.  Other times, when the driver is wrong, the
jobs pile up in the print que and errors show in the CUPS
configuration tool.

I would not assume it's a CUPS problem at all.

I would hie myself off to http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ and look for the latest software.

The folk there are pretty helpful.

--

Cheers