Re: dhcpd mystery

Tim wrote:

Reminds me of the haggling scene in The Life of Brian...  2 minutes for
this lease?  You must be mad...

But I can see why they'd set short ones for games, people expect games
to just plug in and start working.  Having to put up with long delays
while changes take place would be untenable, particularly with
multi-machine network gaming.  But if you had a network where the only
thing was changing was that one Wii, and you didn't want it doing it
that rapidly, you'd set the servers minimum lease time to be longer, and
the Wii would have to put up with a longer lease time.

Leases should not be renewed too often; any renewal process takes more time than not renewing.

In an office where laptops may come and go (but always the same ones) I figure one day is fine, they'll probably not renew during a working day, but are required to next day.

In the ordinary course of events, everyone gets the same IP address each time.

For PXE I might give a short lease, it's only going to run for a few seconds, and Anaconda maybe an hour or so.

I do give different answers, depending on who's asking.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait