Re: How to fix error message (unable to Access Resume Device (Label=/dev/sdc5)

Leslie Satenstein wrote:
Subject line says it all.

I get the message during the boot process, but I do not notice any problem thereafter.

Where do I start looking for circumvention?

If this is very early in the boot sequence, the message may be coming from /boot/initrd*. This is a small packaged filesystem, and at the root level (when unpacked) is a text file init, which has the "Resume Device" hardcoded into it. For example, mine has the lines near the end:

echo Activating logical volumes
lvm vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure  VolGroup01
resume /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol01
echo Creating root device.
mkrootdev -t ext3 -o defaults,ro /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
echo Mounting root filesystem.
mount /sysroot
echo Setting up other filesystems.
setuproot
echo Switching to new root and running init.
switchroot
echo Booting has failed.

You can tell if this is the problem by the pattern of messages printed by the "echo" lines above. Specifically, if the error message comes before you see "Switching to new root and running init", then it is likely this is where the error is coming from.