Re: setting preferences globally?

francis keyes wrote:

My question is: as root, is there a way that I can set every user's screen saver preferences to NOT lock the screen?

If the desktop is KDE, you can do the following:

Edit the following file:

/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/kdesktoprc

The particular thing of interest is the following stanza:

[ScreenSaver]
Enabled=true
Lock=true
LockGrace=120000
Priority=19
Saver=KRandom.desktop
Timeout=1800

You can set Lock=false

You should also be able to use the KDE immutable option next to the stanza name so that users cannot override these settings, eg.

[ScreenSaver] [$i]

Note though, that an rpm update may obliterate your changes, so you could create your own kde profile and add it in /etc/kderc which is how I've done similar things for our computer labs.

--
Ian Chapman.