Re: lvm re-install strategy

François Patte wrote:

> I have an fc6 install with LVM and want install f8.

I don't see any problem.

> I have 3 hdd: sda, sdb, sdc.
>
> sda has 1 partition: sda1 LVM
>
> sdb has 2 partitions: sdb1 ext3
>                       sdb2 LVM
>
> sdc has 1 partition: sdc1 LVM
>
> sdc1 and sdb2 are in the same volume group.
>
> System in living in sdb and sdc and sda is practically free.
>
> The root partition / is on sdb1 and all other vital partitions (/usr,
> swap, /var, /opt, /tmp and /home) are logical volumes on sdc1.
>
> My idea is to perform the new install on sda: sda1 will be the root
> partition /, and build a volume group sda2 for /usr, swap, /opt /tmp and
> /var; /home will be left where it is.
>
> Here begins my problem: I would like, after install retrieve (almost)
> all files from fc6 install. For /home, there is no problem, I think
> that, at install time, I will be be asked if I want to keep my /home
> volume wherever it is. But for other volumes (/var where my dns config
> is...) or /opt (where my texmf and some other out of standard are) I
> don't know how to get them once the new system will be installed.
>
> How could I access to these partitions for, now, they are mounted on
> /dev/mapper/.... but these devices are created at boot time in the /dev
> which is on sdb1 and, even if I mount /dev/sdb1 from the fresh install,
> I will be unable to access them because the new system is mounted on
> sda.....

I haven't understood the details of your setup.
But couldn't you run Knoppix (or one of the other Linux-on-a-CD's)
and activate your LVM partitions with "vgchange -a y" (as root)?
Won't "lvdisplay" then tell you the names of the corresponding devices?
Then you could mount the partitions as you wish,
and copy whatever you want from one to the other.

> Another (related) question: is it possible, through grub, to have the 2
> systems (f8 and fc6) working? I mean, not at the same time but possibly
> choosen at boot time? what are the magic command to give before
> installing the bootloader, during the installation of f8, in order to
> get this possibility.

Again, I'm not sure of your exact question,
but it is certainly possible to have grub stanzas
corresponding to different versions of Fedora.

Personally, I would not rely on the Fedora installation
to setup things as I desire.
I would install F8, and then re-write grub.conf
to contain one or more entries for FC-6.
You shouldn't need to re-install grub, as far as I can see.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366