Re: Ubuntu

Jimmy Bradley wrote:
    Now, keep in mind, I'm not a software guy. My area is hardware,
mainly storage.
The only time that I've been able to load two different linux distros on
the same machine was when I loaded Ubuntu on a separate hard drive in a
machine that was at the time running Mandriva 2007, and it was the last
powerpack edition that was available for download as multiple cd iso
images. It might have even been the 2006 edition. I really don't
remember. Anyway, Once both distros were installed, upon boot up, I was
given a choice on which distro I wanted to load. I need to mention that
was with Ubuntu 6.10. That's around 2 or 3 versions ago, so I don't know
if I would have the same luck now.
   Mandriva started playing with 3d graphics and some other stuff with
their 2007 spring edition. Since then, it hasn't been a very stable
distro. In fact, alot of the same problems that I saw in F8, I've seen
in the newer releases of Mandriva. In the case of my Dell poweredge
server, Mandriva says my video controller sucks too, just like F8 did.
I'm no programmer, but I think it has to do with the X.org release
that's the heart of the problem. The best I can tell, I'm going to have
to put a better video card in the machine, and disable the on-board
video controller in order to run the newer release of most of the linux
distros. I had been running F7 on it with no trouble, but F8 wouldn't
load, so I've tried other distros, and most of them have given me the
same video issues as F8. So far, the only distros that I've been able to
get to run on the machine are the Red hat EL clones except Cent OS 5.1.
Desktop BSD 6.3 runs on it as well. I know some of you are probably going to respond back saying "What
does this have to do with Fedora." The reason I brought it up is alot of
the problems that have been seen in Fedora, I've noticed in other
distros too. Especially, the problem with system stability, and the
freezing up issue, and it seems to be worse when running the Gnome
enviroment. It's a problem under KDE too, but not as bad

Jim