Re: Ubuntu

On Sunday 27 January 2008 2:40:40 pm Karl Larsen wrote:
> Martin Marques wrote:
> > Karl Larsen escribió:
> >>    I have tried to load this software as another to keep an eye on,
> >> but when I do load it it takes over Grub! I didn't see any way to
> >> stop it from doing this. Has anyone else had success? If so let me
> >> know what to do.
> >
> > You should ask in an Ubuntu list.
>
>     I don't belong to any.
>
> Karl

Karl:
Most of the *buntus do not make it easy to dual-boot with another Linux
distrobution. First, as you've discovered, they will take over the MBR. There
is fix for that -- use the "alternate" .iso (non-live). Then, during the
install process you'll see an button labeled "Advanced" which will allow you
to put Grub in *buntu's root partition. You'll then have to modify Fedora's
grub.conf, adding a chainloader directive to the *buntu root partition and
leaving Fedora in control the booting process. Alternatively, you could edit
Fedora's grub.conf to include all of *buntu's kernel and initrd stuff.

Beware of another *buntu gotcha: If you have setup a separate /boot partition,
don't tell *buntu about it because it will insist on formatting it, thereby
erasing all of the good Fedora stuff. The workaround is to let *buntu have
its own /boot partition under its / partition.

By the way: The *buntu guys have a ton of online information beyond mail
lists -- wikis, forums and other stuff. Betcha this has all been covered
there many times.

-- cmg