Re: OT: unathorized network user.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:50:42 -0500,
  "Jacques B." <jjrboucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have the same problem.  My ISP requires that a user sending mail
> authenticates first (same username & password as when retrieving POP
> mail).  I suspect this is to prevent someone from using their SMTP
> server anonymously to relay spam.  Unfortunately my router log

The reason that ISPs do this is spam related, but if you did send spam
via your connection the IP address could be used to track back to you.
There are better ISPs that don't block ports.

> settings only have a field for the SMTP server and the email account.
> It doesn't allow me to enter a username & password.  It also does not
> have an option to send the logs to a central logging server.

Another option for you might be to set up a mail server just for your
internal network and have the logs sent there.

> I checked the manufacturer's web site and I have the latest firmware
> that they provide.  And since it's a few years old, I don't foresee
> them releasing any new firmware as it's no doubt an end of life
> product.  So my options are to either log onto it regularly and use

You might also look at the ddwrt or openwrt projects to see if their
firmware can be used on your router.
> the option to save the logs locally (onto the machine I'm using to

> access the router) and then clear the logs, or nothing at all (or go
> buy a new one that allows you to enter a username & password along
> with the SMTP server).  I was wondering if I would be able to set up
> an SMTP server on my local machine and then put that machine's
> internal IP for the SMTP server setting on the router and see if that
> works.  But I really don't have the time to fuss with that for a home
> environment.

It wouldn't be that much work. Since you could restrict access to your
network, you wouldn't have to worry about spam, which is the biggest cause
of headaches for running a mail server.