Re: CD and DVD ISO images

William Hooper wrote:
On Jan 25, 2008 4:58 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Way be when I first looked at downloading Debian, I had a similar
experience.  The difference was that I see no value in having to
download and install a special program that I'm going to only use once
to download one thing.  I already have ways of downloading files via
ftp, http, etc., why do I need to mess with this new program?
Well... it does use http. The why would be for similar reasons people
use torrent. Also like why you could use a telnet client to browse to
view a web page via http, but you get a browser instead (bad example).

Exactly my point.  I already have a bunch of programs to download
files.  "Bob" is going to ask why he can't just use IE, Firefox,
uTorrent, <insert P2P app-o-the-week>.  Why do I need this "special"
download program that I've never heard of that I will only use to
download Fedora?  If Linux is that hard, why bother...

Personally, I can see where jigdo makes sense if you already have some
of the files downloaded, but the new user is going to be starting from
zero.

Luckily, Jigdo isn't mutually exclusive with BitTorrent. Concerning the issues stated, I hope distribution via BitTorrent is going to continue. Jigdo is one way for users to get the distribution whereof I assume it is a better and way more efficient way - for those who can use it.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip