Re: Maintaining a local yum repository

On Jan 26, 2008 8:25 AM, Derek Tattersall <tatters@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have 3 computers running Fedora 8. I think it would probably
> be a good thing to set up a local repository for yum, rather than
> downloading each package 3 times.
>
> I have looked at the howto at www.howtoforge.com, and I am not really
> happy with the method described there. It involves picking a particular
> mirror and using rsync to keep the local repository up to date.
>
> It seems to me that this would have some problems. For one thing it puts
> a bigger load on whichever mirror I am rsync'ing to. For another thing,
> It seems to that there might be some security issues with just grabbing
> the packages without checking the key as yum does.
>
> Is there a better way to keep a local repository up to date? Ideally, I
> would like to find a way to just download the packages that my local
> users ask for, not the whole thing. And I would prefer to use the mirror
> list at fedora rather than just use one particular server.
>
> I would also prefer to automate the whole process rather than doing it
> manually.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas about this? Or would I be better off just
> continuing to use the fedora repository?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Derek Tattersall                    tatters@xxxxxxxxxxx

That's a great idea Derek.

I discovered recently I needed to do something about this same
issue but for a slightly different reason:
When I install the OS I do not choose _all_ the rpms from the  install media.
There are a zillion things I do not install; therefore, once my local yum repo
is setup I only want to download rpms to update my OS setup and not every rpm
offered in the Fedora mirror. After all, what's the point in
downloading rpms I'll
never use.

So, I been thinking something like this:
   do "rpm -qa > myfile" to store the output in a text file.
   The rpm names would look like

	tar-1.17-3.fc8.i386.rpm

   then use some command (awk, cut?), to reduce the rpm names
   to just the "tar" word. Store this in a second text file.
   Note that this needs to be done only at the beginning of the setup..

So now try using the rsync option "--files-from=FILE" using that
second text file created earlier.

Does that make sense?
I have not done that, but I'll give it a shot.

~af