Re: Maintaining a local yum repository

Derek Tattersall wrote:
Hello,

I currently have 3 computers running Fedora 8. I think it would probably be a good thing to set up a local repository for yum, rather than downloading each package 3 times.

I have looked at the howto at www.howtoforge.com, and I am not really happy with the method described there. It involves picking a particular mirror and using rsync to keep the local repository up to date.

It seems to me that this would have some problems. For one thing it puts a bigger load on whichever mirror I am rsync'ing to. For another thing, It seems to that there might be some security issues with just grabbing the packages without checking the key as yum does.

Is there a better way to keep a local repository up to date? Ideally, I would like to find a way to just download the packages that my local users ask for, not the whole thing. And I would prefer to use the mirror list at fedora rather than just use one particular server.

I would also prefer to automate the whole process rather than doing it manually.

Does anybody have any ideas about this? Or would I be better off just continuing to use the fedora repository?

Thanks

I think a better plan is to save all updates which you do in /etc/yum.conf and then use some method like rsync to copy the new stuff to the other two computers. The details are more complex if you want to do it automatic. Maybe a cron job once a day.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User