Re: Reinstall GRUB?

Doctor Who wrote:
I recently added another hard drive to my machine.  Previously, I had
2 hard drives and Fedora was installed on one along with Vista.  I
installed grub to Fedora''s root and used a 3rd party boot loader to
access Fedora and other distros.

Now that the 3rd SATA drive is installed, Fedora's grub is messed up
because it's not on the drive it thinks it is (different order to
drives now).  How can I go about 'fixing' Fedora's grub entry and
re-installing grub to Fedora's root partition (not the MBR)?

Thanks.

Probably the easiest way to to boot the rescue CD or the install DVD/CD in the rescue mode, and have it mount your partitions. Then edit your Grub configuration and run grub-install. (I am guessing that you can not get to the Grub prompt because Grub is looking for stage 1.5 in on the wrong drive.) If you are not using partition labels, you will also have to edit /etc/fstab.

For editing, and re-installing Grub, I like to chroot to the mount point for the root file system. But if you are not using partition labels, the rescue mode will have problems mounting /boot and possible other partitions because the information in /etc/fstab will point to the wrong drive. In that case, you will end up having to mount at least some of the partitions by hand before you can fix things.

I don't know your level of acknowledge, so ask about the steps you need detailed explanations of. (or search the list) The different steps have been covered more then once, but it isn't always easy to find them.

Mikkel