Re: gtk2 update on fc8 SOLVED!

Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 13:15 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
Gilboa Davara wrote:
The GTK2 update might have contained a number of security updates; while
having a broken update will not cause any visible corruption, it may
leave the machine open for an attack.
Do you think running "rpm -V" on the gtk2 package would be a good idea first?

It should... as long as RPM DB is not corrupted.
Being paranoid, I rather reinstall the RPM and reduce the risk.

I think I have been lucky over the years...knock on wood. I've not found myself in a situation where an "rpm -Uvh" or "rpm -ivh" has hung or my rpm db became corrupted. (I think I had a problem way back in the Red Hat 7, not Fedora days....) So, I've never seen the need to use --force.

So, one last question(s), if the rpm db is corrupted isn't it likely that "rpm -V" would fail? Would a corrupted db cause other packages to fail verification. And finally, what are the chances that you'd have an incorrectly installed rpm and an rpm db that was corrupted in such a manner that the verification would succeed?

As I said, I never have run into these kinds of problems....so these questions have only just now popped into my head.

Thanks...