Re: First NIC appearing as eth10 instead of expected eth0

Hi,

you could take a look at /etc/modprobe.conf, which looks as follows on my pc (redhat 5.1)

   [root@barrakh etc]# more modprobe.conf
   alias eth0 pcnet32

It could be some alias defined in this file.

On the other hand, how did you define your ethernet scripts ? do you have an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and -eth1 or how do they look like ?

John Summerfield schrieb:
thomas62186218@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi All,

I am running Fedora 8 32-bit with no updates (fresh install) on a server with a Tyan S5380 motherboard with the latest 2.00 BIOS. This motherboard has two Intel GbE ports on the motherboard.

Oddly, when I type ifconfig -a, these GbE ports appear as eth10 and eth11. There is no eth0. I've been around Linux for a few years and have never seen anything like this, so I'm stumped. Why would it not map these GbE ports as eth0 and eth1, as expected?
<snip>

Any ideas on this?
No, but I have seen this behaviour on a virtual Debian system I have here. In my case, I attributed it without much thought to the fact I did not provide a MAC address, and I was running it directly with qemu-kvm and not through virt* (which provides a consistent one for each virtual machine).