RE: [F8] Seems I lost my network connection...

Ed Greshko wrote:
>Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> Ok, the steps worked and the modprobe -l showed
>> exactly the right module.
>>
>> The problem is, restarting netowrk did not bring it back.
>>
>> I noticed the logs however and I see this:
>>
>> kernel: IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
>> kernel: sit0: Disabled Privacy Extensions
>> kernel: Attansic(R) l2 Ethernet Network Driver - version 1.0.40.2
>> kernel: Copyright (c) 2006 Attansic Corporation
>> kernel: net eth1: device rename sysfs_create_symlink failed (-17)
>> udev:   renamed network interface eth1 to eth0
>> kernel: net eth0: device rename sysfs_create_symlink failed (-17)
>> kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
>> avahi-daemon: Joining mDNS mulitcast group on interface
>eth0.IPv4 with address: 10.1.0.8
>> avahi-daemon: New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS
>> avahi-daemon: Registering new address record for eth0.IPv4 for mDNS
>
>Hummm....never seen these types of messages....
>
>One thing you could try is running "system-config-network" and
>deleting/recreating the configuration.

I did that several times.  Does not work.

One thing to note here, is that this system is multiboot, so
I tried w2kPro and XP and it works.  So I am convinced that
somehow some package was installed that screwed it up or some
kind of configuration is hosed.  I know for a fact that this
onboard NIC is not the problem, nor the cable nor the switch
the cable is connected to.

So the next step was to re-install the HW PCI NIC as I had before
for which eth0 was previously assigned to this card.  When I had
successfully built the attansic l2 module, it was assigned eth1
device.  Once I tested everything out, the attansic L2 was working
good, I had shutdown the system and removed the HW PCI NIC card
but not before I had removed both eth0 and eth1 from the
system-config-network setting because I had forgotten about it.

It wasn't until later when I had booted up and then removed these
entries.  Ever since that, the udev was swapping eth1 for eth0
but it worked so I ignored it. Maybe somehow the connections
were made persistent - so when I lost the onboard NIC connection,
I am left with a configuration mess that I have not been able to
clean up?

Anyway, when I reinstalled the HW NIC card, went into system-config-network,
and attempted to assign eth1 device to this NIC, instead it had
automatically assigned dev4 to this NIC.  I notice that the only devices
available to me are: dev0, dev2, ... dev8.

As we see in the above log message, udev attempts to reassign
eth1 to eth0 but fails with a sysfs_create_symlink failure so
perhaps there is a persistent configuration file somewhere OR
there is another package that is taking control of the network.

Can someone shed some light on this please?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.