Re: livna video drivers for idiots

Michael A. Peters wrote:
On some forum today, a claim was made that Ubuntu should be used if you want to use nvidia drivers because Fedora is difficult to install them in.

I have nothing against Ubuntu (except for their sudo defaults and lack of a root passwd by default, but that's another discussion) but that statement about fedora just wasn't true. So I detailed the four or five lines it takes in a terminal to get the livna packaging installed and configured, and the argument then was that it still was too hard.

If some people really feel that way - well, I guess it could be made easier. I don't have a fedora box at the moment so I have only dry run tested this script in CentOS - but perhaps someone running Fedora can fine tune this and get it up onto a useful wiki?

I use Freshrpms for my nvidia drivers as it uses dkm. This makes life so easy compared to Livna. I don't have to remove and re-install (unless it is better now) the various modules. If there is a new nvidia driver, it is created on the next reboot. I just see a message about it.

I think the dynamic kernel modules is a much better way to go than individual modules. Now I have a module that will be created and work on a previous kernel if I need it.

Just my 2cents worth.
--
Robin Laing