Re: Intel Sound Problems (was The Name of the Lord. And ...)

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 00:53 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 10:55 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 03:42 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > <snip...>

> > > I think you hijacked the thread. But, I forgive you. Rev. Ric
> >
> > [Sound of Rev. Chris tearing his cloak (in the style of King David)...]
> >
> > Forgive me for I have sinned against this list! I shall release this
> > thread hijack and submit anew with a new subject / thread...
> >
> > <smile...>
>
> <makes sign of benediction> "Go and sin no more."
> I love that one, it says it all. No need to tear a good cloak! Rev. Ric
>
> --
> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too

This is what I posted recently (thread "Next steps to diagnose missing
sound?").  My Dell XPS 1710 worked fine until about a week or two ago.
I see the sound card using lspci:

    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
    Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

but I'm seeing the error

    ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1207:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card

in the log file scsrun.log generated by the Soundcard Detection applet.

Also, in ~/.xsession-errors I'm seeing:
    ** (gnome-session:2890): WARNING **: Could not start esd: Failed to
    execute child process "/usr/bin/esd" (No such file or directory)

    ** (gnome-session:2890): WARNING **: Failed to start sound.

I run "yum whatprovides esd" and I get nothing.  It's the esound daemon,
but why I need it and where it comes from is, as of now, TBD.  Why do I
need this and when did I start needing it is also TBD.  I have
esd-config, but no esd!

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution