Re: CD and DVD ISO images

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 13:04 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
My proposal addresses the cases of no DVD drive but CD, and no good networking.
In that case I'm still suggesting that fedora is not the wisest choice of distro.

Why not?  And who are you to make that decision for me?

I like cutting-edge applications and dev tools.  I'm used to RH admin
tools.  My 1GHz T-Bird  is acceptably (though not blindingly) fast with
F8, for the things I use it for.  The 500MHz P-III in my closet is an
adequate home print/backup/network server with F8.  Having all my
machines running the same version of the OS is a great convenience.  The
only issue is I need a DVD drive someplace so I can do network installs.
I happen to have one in the house[1], but if I didn't and I lived
further out in the country (many people out here still have no DSL or
cable service!), I'd be SOL.

[1] So far, about the only thing it gets used for is upgrading Fedora.

Nobody is making a decision for you. What is being suggested is that Fedora is the wrong choice if you do not have good networking, or more specifically, a good Internet connection. Fedora changes too fast to try to keep up with if you do not have a fast Internet connection. You might manage it on dialup, but you would be tying up a phone line for hours at a time. (Update over night?) So you are loosing most of the advantages of using Fedora. Add to this the fact that the Fedora DVD is less then 1/3 of the packages available from the official Fedora repos, even before you add in the third party repos, and not having a good Internet connection becomes more of a problem.

From what I see, Fedora is geared towards having a good Internet connection. The way updates and adding software is handled is a good indication of this. So even after you get Fedora installed, you are going to run into problems if you do not have a good Internet connection. This sure sounds like using the wrong tool for the job. So it is a valid observation that using Fedora is this case is probably not the best choice.

I would love to be able to run Fedora on an old Pentium 75mhz system with 40Mb of RAM and an 800Mb hard drive. But it is not practical. A better choice is one of the distributions designed to run on low-end hardware. The best choice, if I want to keep using it, is to use it for something like a firewall, router, or wireless bridge. Maybe a print server as well.

Mikkel