Re: Fwd: ports

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 16:20 +0000, tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> We used to run tomcat on port 8080 (I think this is default).
> We switched to port 80 (default http port) because some
> customers blocked port 8080.
>
> Now dome pages/scripts still look for port 8080 and no longer
> get Tomcat.
>
> Is there anyway to forward or redirect from 8080 to 80 so
> if someone goes to
>
>     http://myurl.com
>
> they will get Tomcat, BUT Also if they
> go to
>
>     http://myurl.com:8080
>
> it will still work, and they will get the same Tomcat?

You can have it listen to both, and use HTTP redirects to move requests
from the undesired version to the desired version.  You can use IP Table
rules to forward incoming connections from one port to another.

8080 is a common port for proxies, you can strike problems trying to
publicly serve from that port.  Some will block it as an attempt at
stopping potential net abuse.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

If I wanted a hard time I would have used Windows...