Re: nfs export a partition mounted via samba?

Dave Burns wrote:
One of our users has a NAS or lan disk that he wants to make available
(read only) to a number of people in our office. The disk's interface
with the world is samba. Our shop uses NFS. How possible/suicidal
would it be to try to mount this disk on a linux box via samba, then
export it again via NFS? Would it work at all, be ridiculously slow,
or bring Armageddon?

It might work, I think it will. However, you double the points of possible failure

I've googled around, but I haven't discovered the right search terms
to separate people who are comparing the two from the loonies like me
who want to piggyback them. Or maybe I am the only one nutty enough to
have even considered this (as if each weren't flakey enough on their
own).

Mounting with cifs is generally trivial (samba isn't required). I don't think this is giving away too many secrets:

sudo mount.cifs //coco/reminst /mnt/coco.remoteinstall -o user=summer,ip=10.0.0.253,domain=class.corridors

Note: one line.
Note, it's possible to put the credentials into a file beyond prying eyes.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait