Re: Remote Desktop: the recipe.

On 23/01/2008, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> dare i ask if there's a HOWTO on this package?  i took a quick look at
> >> it and it appears to involve xinetd and XDMCP, so a clear set of
> >> instructions would be, you know, handy.  :)
> >>

> > Well, I just installed it, and it doesn't work out of the box,
> > unfortunately. I didn't bother trying to tweak it, as this simple
> > recipe is working fine for me:
> >
> > http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx/8339389.html
>
> Looks like essentially the same thing give or take a few differences in
> the arguments and the way they are generated.  If that works, you should
> be able to make vncts work.  You just need to follow how the ports in
> /etc/services tie to the different options in the command started by
> xinetd and then through the /usr/bin/vncts shell expansion of the commands.

Yeah, actually, the thing that is missing from the vncts package is
the server option:

-fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/

... in /etc/sysconfig/vncts the options set for the vnc server are:
VNCTSOPTIONS="-inetd -once -query localhost -fp unix/:7100 -SecurityTypes None"

I don't know why, but I never had any luck with -fp unix/:7100 - the
vnc server will start and then shut down after 5 seconds. I *think*
this is because I am not running the font server, but am not 100
percent sure. In any case, changing this to -fp
/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/ fixes things.