Re: Updates of X

Antonio M wrote:
> Each time that major updates of graphic drivers are installed, I have
> to change the resolution of my screen, I mean that if before updates
> resolution is 1024x768 as desidered, after updates I find for example
> 1268x768...and if I try to get back the original resolution as
> standard user, and I log out nothing happens...if I want to change
> resolution I have to log in as root.

1268x768 is a *very* odd size.  My laptop runs at 1280x800.  1280x1024
is also a standard 4:3 size.  If I were you, I'd look at what screen
sizes were specified in my xorg.conf file and pare them down (ie remove
those you *don't* want).  At some version of Xorg, less attention is
being paid to what screen sizes you specify and more attention to what
the monitor says it can support via EDID info.  If that is your problem,
you can disable the EDID stuff in your xorg.conf.

I have never had a problem with X forgetting my previous screen size
unless the install overwrote my xorg.conf and started using the vesa
driver instead of the nv or nvidia driver on my desktop (F8) or the
fglrx or radeon driver for my laptop (currently FC6, soon to be F8 or F9
x64_86).

When I did a new install on a very old computer with a Radeon 7000 card,
I had lots of trouble getting it to start in the correct configuration
since the install disks didn't know about this (very) old video card.
But, persistence paid off and all is well with that one too (currently
running F7).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx