Re: Windows Network

Hello,

I am still trying to configure properly to have this "network" working.
Now I can see the other machines on the network !
When I try to connect on one (for example belonging to the same workgroup), I get: Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: bernath" and any machine shows up.
Concerning samba, I have: workgroup bernath
Security Authentication Mode User
Authentification Server: *
No Guest Account
Encrypt Password yes

Concerning the firewall, I enable mail, ssh, samba
I did not notice any difference if the SELinux Setting is enforced or disabled.

What else should I check ?

In the workgroup bernath there is several machines which are visible
from a XP machine.

Regards

Dr P Dupre wrote:

On a FC7 machine, Windows network does not show any machine, when from
a microsofy machine I can see plenty !

In addition  system-config-printer gives me an error:
 There was a problem connecting to the CUPS server.

Are those things correlated ?

Possibly. Do you have samba installed?i
Yes, seems running fine

The FC7 machine does not see the "microsoft machines", when these ones
see each other. Why should this have something to do with the
firewall of the FC7 ?

More likely the workgroup Samba is configured for.  Is it the same as
the Windows machines?  Or does each Windows machine have its own domain?

The XP machines run a firewall but this should not prevent to see the
machines, eventually, the FC7 machine will not be able to login.

He's worried that the firewall on the F7 machine is blocking the
necessary ports for Samba to see the windows machines (and vice versa).
If F7 blocks those ports, there can be no communication between those
machines via those ports.  Does that make sense?

Am I wrong ?

My usual problems with Samba is that it defaults to a work group named
WORKGROUP, while Windows XP either defaults to the machine name or
MSHOME.  I can't say what Vista does.

Regards.

 Does your firewall have the ports for
samba open? Are you attempting to connect to a printer on a Windows
computer? Does it have a firewall? What kind of firewall does it have?
Is it Norton or McAfee ? Both Norton and McAfee suck donkey balls. You
are pretty vague about what exactly you are doing. Perhaps if you are
more specific , then you will get more help. I understand the
frustration but you claim the Dr title so perhaps a little maturity
and composure are in order.

-Max

Patrick Dupré                                             pd520@xxxxxxxxxx
University of York                                 Department of Chemistry
Heslington, York              YO10 5DD                      United Kingdom
Phone: +44-(0)-1904-434384                        Fax: +44-(0)-1904-432516