Re: qemu access to the native CD-ROM on f8?

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Sur wrote:

> * Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 01/21/2008 09:23 PM:

... snip ...

> > > qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom linux-0.2.img
> >
> > i've tried that, and every variation of that i could think of
> > (/dev/sr0, /dev/scd0).  but, as i said earlier, i don't think the
> > "-cdrom" option is for assigning devices, i think it's for associating
> > *image files* with devices.  in any event, the above still doesn't
> > show me an available CD device from within QEMU.
>
> that should work, read Invocation section carefully:
> http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#TOC10
>
> when you use -cdrom, the device always becomes /dev/hdc on guest, so
> -hdc and -cdrom options are mutually exclusive.

darn, you're right -- but i'm still curious as to how i should have
known that the CD-ROM would be available in the QEMU session as
/dev/hdc.  now that i read the above, you can *deduce* that, but it
certainly doesn't come right out and say it.

and on that online page, in section 3.3, you can read:

"You can use the host CD-ROM by using `/dev/cdrom' as filename."

which is why i was looking for that device file in the QEMU session.
certainly, that page could be written more clearly.  :-)  thanks
muchly -- i'll be adding that to the QEMU wiki page shortly.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca