RE: [F8] [2] Need help with tar or how to copy root to new drive?

> [2nd try: Seems that my outgoing email is not reaching fedora-list...]
>
> I am having a hard time simply trying to copy my root
> partition to a new
> drive and somehow tar is not doing what I expected. Can someone advise
> me how to do it correctly?
>
> I tried:
>
> 1) mkdir /mnt/new
> 2) mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt/new
> 3) cd /mnt/new
> 4) (cd /; tar --one-file-system --xattrs -cf - .) | tar
> --one-file-system --xattrs -tvf -)
>    [result: All mounted filesystems are copied over]  Drat!
>
> The only other possibility that comes to my mind is to mount
> the root drive
> to /mnt/root read-only. mount the new drive to /mnt/new, and
> then tar-copy
> but this may have consequences with the currently mounted
> root filesystem?

I have accomplished this by getting the Linux system rescue cd
http://www.sysresccd.org/
and then using gparted to copy to the new drive.  I then have
to use grub or grub_install
I believe the grub commands would be
root (hd0,0)   # where hd0 is the drive specification for the new drive
                 and 0 is the boot partition.  Remember grub calls
partition
                 1 partition 0.
setup (hd0)    # where hd0 is replaced by the specification for the new
drive.
                 This will install grub on the MBR for that drive.
Note that it has been a while since I did this and I do not have a
machine
set up to do a quick check right now.  So, I advise you double check in
the manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Bob S.
Phoenix, AZ USA