Re: Where do you put all your HTML stuff on a home Linux server?

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Why?
It seems to me much simpler to follow the apache default /var/www/html , if you are using apache.
I don't keep a separate /var - I do keep a separate /srv
I can do a clean install but preserve /home and /srv and I don't lose anything.

I do not like to have /var as a partition that is preserved because too many files in /var are OS dependent. So I like /var to be nuked on a clean install along with /usr

This also allows me to have a relatively small root filesystem - and not have to worry about expanding it because I filled up /var/html. I may have to expand /srv as it fills with data from various servers - but it is much easier and safer to expand /srv than to expand / - and a full /srv won't prevent an update package from installing or otherwise interfere with system operations.