Re: HELP: External 250G USB screwed with GParted

Hi John,

On Jan 20, 2008 1:54 AM, John Thompson <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-01-19, André Costa <blueser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I plugged my brand new WD Passport Drive
> > [http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=364] on my F8
> > box, and it appeared just fine (I had done this before -- I had even
> > reformatted the partition with NTFS with Windows XP). I wanted to
> > remove the single 250G NTFS partition and create two smaller ones, and
> > reformat them as ext3 and HFS for my girlfriend's MacBook.
> >
> > GParted identified the device just fine, and I had just deleted the
> > original partition and created two smaller ones (110G and 120G),
> > unformatted. When I hit the "apply changes" button, GParted told me it
> > could not see the device anymore. Indeed, it couldn't be seen
> > anywhere. The disk was not mounted anymore, and did not appear as a
> > device on GNOME's nautilus.
>
> What does fdisk say about the device? You can have fdisk write a new,
> empty partition table to start fresh and then create your new
> partitions..

This is my main problem right now: I don't even get to see the device,
since USB layer refuses me access to it =( Once I get past this, I'm
pretty sure it should be recoverable as "any screwed" SATA HDD is (eg.
using fdisk, as you suggested).

But thks anyway =)

Regards,

Andre